In the 1820s the Romanovs acquired Oreanda (Border) and in 1852 a luxurious palace was built there for Grand Duke Constantine. But the palace was burnt down in 1882.
The park was laid out while the palace was being built. The contours of its small ponds reproduce the outlines of the Sea of Azov, the Black, Caspian and Aral Seas.
In Nizhnyaya Oreanda there is the Church of the Intercession of the Holy Virgin.
Oreanda has been the site of a number of international summit meetings.